Caring for someone can be a part-time or full time job. When this is the case, there may be financial supports available to you.

What allowances or grants are available for carers?

Carer's Allowance, Care Sharing, Carer's Benefit, Domiciliary Care Allowance, Carer Support Grant, Homemakers Scheme, Mobility Allowance. You can read more about all of these schemes, and other financial support options, on the website of the Department of Social Protection,

What rules apply?

You cannot get both carers’ benefit and pension. You can choose to take the one that is more advantageous to you.

How do I know what I’m entitled to?

How long will I get it for?

That depends on your particular circumstances. But support usually lasts as long as you remain a carer.

How do I apply for financial support?         

You can get the forms from the local Citizens Information Centre or Social Welfare Office. Keep a photocopy of all of the documentation you submit.