Unemployment or loss of a business and the difficulties related to it can challenge you in ways that you haven’t been challenged before. Redundancy, difficulties finding work and money worries can have a negative impact on your mental health.

Looking after your mental health will help you manage the stress and worry of unemployment or business loss. There are simple and practical things you can do to look after your mental health during times of job or business loss. 

  • Take it one day at a time
    Sometimes it just all seems too much to cope with all at once. Focus on the here and now and trust that you will have what it takes to cope with tomorrow. Plan your day so that at the end of it you will feel you have achieved something, however small.

  • Talk about it and ask for help
    Talking about your feelings and the stress you are under with family, friends, a counsellor or a G.P. is a good way to cope with a problem. You can also talk to Samaritans on 116 123 or email jo@samaritans.ie.

  • Find out about supports
    You are not alone, lots of people have financial problems and worries about unemployment. Visit http://www.gettingbacktowork.ie/en/ for information on social welfare, leaving work, help with your rent or mortgage and options for training.

  • Advice on money problems
    Taking control of your money problems may help reduce your stress levels. The Money Advice and Budgeting Service (MABS) can help with this. You can contact them on 1890 283 438.

  • Advice on personal debt
    The Insolvency Service provides information to help you sort out personal debt problems. Visit the BackonTrack.ie website to find useful information; read personal stories; or request a call back from the organisation.

  • Advice for mortgage worries
    If you are worried about mortgage repayments or your mortgage is in arrears, go to www.keepingyourhome.ie or contact the Mortgage Arrears Information Helpline on 0761 07 4050.

  • Get legal aid and advice
    If you have a legal problem, talk to a solicitor early in the process. If you cannot afford a solicitor, contact the Legal Aid Board. Information on legal issues related to job or business loss is also available through your local Citizens Information Centre.